image/con/text. Documentary Practices between Journalism, Art and Activism
October 2019 – August 2020 · symposium and publication (ed.)
The desire to renew and repoliticise documentary practices was a central motivation behind the second [IMAGE MATTERS] symposium in October 2019 at the Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts. Diverse lectures examined image/text relations in notable contemporary and historical projects, focussing particularly on the medium of the photobook, but also encompassing film, multimedia and the comic genre.
The strategies considered emphasize the contextuality of photography by relying on the complementarity of testimony, and show that meaning can only be understood in the complex interplay of images, texts and documents. They move between journalistic, artistic and activist positions, interweave fact and fiction and reveal the constellations of power in the process of representation.
In August 2020 the accompanying book was published by Dietrich Reimer Verlag with visual and written essays by: Laia Abril, Crofton Black, Edmund Clark, Susanne von Falkenhausen, Joan Fontcuberta, Karen Fromm, Sophia Greiff, Thomas Helbig, Eva Leitolf, Regine Petersen, Max Pinckers, Peter Puklus, Malte Radtki, Fred Ritchin, Anja Schürmann, Alisha Sett, Anna Stemmler, Florian Sturm, Friedrich Weltzien.
The book launch with Prof. Steffen Siegel, the artist Martha Rosler, the photographer Edmund Clark and the art historian Prof. Dr. em. Susanne von Falkenhausen is still available online.
Karen Fromm, Sophia Greiff, Malte Radtki, Anna Stemmler (ed.): image/con/text. Dokumentarische Praktiken zwischen Journalismus, Kunst und Aktivismus, Reimer Verlag, Berlin 2020, with texts in German and English, 352 pages, 168 figures, 29,90 EUR, ISBN: 978-3-496-01646-5
- Fred Ritchin at the "image/con/text" symposium, Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts, 29.10.2019 © Cilia Klinger
- "image/con/text" symposium, Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts, 30.10.2019 © Michael Braunschädel
- Sophia Greiff and Edmund Clark at the "image/con/text" symposium, Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts, 30.10.2019 © Johanna Langenhoff
- Joan Fontcuberta at the "image/con/text" symposium, Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts, 30.10.2019 © Betty Einhaus
- ← 7th Lumix Festival for Young Visual Journalism - digital Butjer – Everything and Nothing About Hanover →