Fotodoks – Festival for Documentary Photography
2011-2017 · catalogue texts, organisation of festival and exhibitions · co-curator
Since it was founded in 2008, Fotodoks has established itself as one of the most important festivals for current documentary photography in German-speaking countries. Regardless of the regulations of the print media and the art business, the festival sees itself as a forum to openly ask about the motives of the photographers, the production conditions and the interests of clients and consumers.
With the inclusion of an annually changing partner country, Fotodoks stretched its view beyond the German-speaking scene and created opportunities for comparison and networking with photographers from all over the world. A varied program of lectures, panel discussions and film screenings, as well as an exhibition in the Munich City Museum and, since 2017, in the Lothringer13 Halle invited people to get together and exchange ideas.
From year to year, Fotodoks - under the direction of Hans Herbig, Jörg Koopmann, Robert Pupeter, Armin Smailovic and myself - has developed, grown and jumped over many hurdles. Exhibition locations have changed, new awards, collaborations, workshops, partner and traveling exhibitions have been added. In 2019 we handed the festival over to a new team, which we continue to support with words and deeds.
ME:WE, partner country USA
Exhibiting photographers: Endia Beal, Michael Danner, Tim Davis, Thomas Dworzak, Annie Flanagan, Gregory Halpern, Paul Kranzler, Kristin Loschert, Mike Mandel und Chantal Zakari, Harris Mizrahi, Stefanie Moshammer, Andrea Ellen Reed, Richard Renaldi, Ruddy Roye, Lisa Riordan Seville and Zara Katz, Sofia Valiente, Christina Werner.
Traveling exhibition, Ex-Yugoslavia
With the Goethe Institute as a cooperation partner, Fotodoks was able to organize its first extensive traveling exhibition through the seven countries of the former Yugoslavia. The exhibition Past is Now was on show in Sarajevo (BiH), Zenica (BiH), Trebinje (BiH), Cetinje (Montenegro), Zagreb (Croatia), Ljubljana (Slovenia), Belgrade (Serbia), Priština (Kosovo) and Skopje (Macedonia).
Past is Now, partner country Ex-Yugoslavia
Exhibiting photographers: Jaka Babnik, Roman Bezjak, Collaboration-project, Jörg Gläscher, Ziyah Gafić, Ibro Hasanović, Tanja Kernweiss, Borut Krajnc, Saša Krajl, Tom Licht, Anne Morgenstern, Vladimir Miladinović, Merlin Nadj-Torma, Dragan Petrović, Hrvoje Slovenc, Katja Stuke and Oliver Sieber, Michael Wesely.
ThinkTank and research trip
ThinkTank in Munich with speakers from the former Yugoslavia and a 3-week research trip by the Fotodoks team to the region.
Stranger World, partner country The North (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden)
Exhibiting photographers: Nanna Debois Buhl, Christoph Draeger, JH Engstrom, Andrea Gjestvang, Jan Grarup, Pepa Hristova, Gerry Johansson, Margaret M. de Lange, Sara-Lena Maierhofer, Henrik Malmström, Hannah Modigh, Anne Morgenstern, Leifur Wilberg Orrason, Linn Schröder, Helge Skodvin, Bettina Camilla Vestergaard.
ACHTUNG!? – Respect, Control, Change, partner country Great Britain
Exhibiting photographers: Polly Braden, Marcus Brandt, Edmund Clark, Thomas Galler, Jocelyn Bain Hogg, Kai Löffelbein, Robin Maddock, Henrik Malmström, Dawin Meckel, Simon Norfolk, Dana Popa, Simon Roberts, Gregor Schlatte, Kai Wiedenhöfer, Matthias Ziegler.
Unglaublich - Incredibile, partner country Italy
Exhibiting photographers: Giuseppe Carotenuto, Maurizio Cogliandro, Alberto Dede, Jörg Gläscher, Paul Kranzler, Julia Krüger, Lorenzo Maccotta, Franco Pagetti, Bruno Pulici, Julian Röder, Valerio Spada, Heinrich Völkel, Kai Wiedenhöfer, Michael Wolf, Antonello Zappadu, Alexander Ziegler.
- catalogue „Past is Now“, Fotodoks, 2015 © Nicolas Greiff
- exhibition „ME:WE“, Lothringer13 Halle, Fotodoks, 2017 © Viola Maiwald
- catalogue „ME:WE“, Fotodoks, 2017 © Michael Nischke
- exhibition „Stranger World“, Münchner Stadtmuseum, Fotodoks, 2013 © Dittrich/Gerblinger
- Fotodoks team: Robert Pupeter, Hans Herbig, Sophia Greiff, Jörg Koopmann, Armin Smailovic (l.t.r.), Münchner Stadtmuseum, 2011
- partner exhibition “1%: Privilege in a Time of Global Inequality”, Marienhof, Fotodoks/Panos Pictures, 2015 © Robert Pupeter
- festival center at MaximiliansForum, Fotodoks, 2013 © Birkenholz
- catalogue „Stranger World“, Fotodoks, 2013 © Katrin Petroschkat
- exhibition „Past is Now“, Münchner Stadtmuseum, Fotodoks, 2015 © Christoph Mukherjee
- exhibition „Unglaublich - Incredibile“, Münchner Stadtmuseum, Fotodoks, 2011 © Matthias Oertel
- ZEITmagazin awarding to Edmund Clark, Fotodoks, 2012 © Sebastian Gabriel
- ← Carlos Spottorno & Guillermo Abril – The Crack Olaf Unverzart – ALP →